My Grandma Bodily passed away 2 yrs ago today. At the time it was hard for me because I had just had Brandt, but one of the highlights was that I got to take him to see her a couple times before she died. Because she'd had a stroke it was difficult for her to talk, but she made it very clear that she how happy she was to see him and kept saying that he was a "sweet baby" and a "cute baby." Thankfully I had my camera with me at one of the visits, so we were able to get a 4 generation picture with Brandt, me, my mom, and my grandma. What a treasure now!! There are so many things that I miss about my grandma that I never really even thought of when I was younger. I miss her calls on my birthday, I miss staying with her in the summer and over Christmas break, I miss her honesty (never thought I would miss having someone tell me exactly what they thought about my new hair or weight, good or bad...), I miss being able to find just about anything you could imagine in the freezer (potato chips for example :), I miss the licorice drawer, I miss her flower and veggie gardens, especially since she used to save some things like green peppers just for me cause she knows I love them, etc. Grandma was always a very hard worker and I strive to make that one of my traits as well. One thing that I always admired about my grandma was her ability to make beautiful things with her hands; she made quilts, doilies, afghans, dish towels, and more for all of her grandkids as well as a temple apron for each of us when we had our temple weddings. It is one of my most treasured possessions and I love how it reminds me of my grandma and her love for temple work whenever I have the opportunity to wear it. My mom tries hard to hide her emotions, but I know she misses her even more than I do. They used to talk on the phone almost every day and especially when anything big or exciting happened with the grandkids. I think it was one way that she and my mom could really connect. I'm sure that my mom would have lots of entertaining stories to tell her now since she watches Brandt every day, which would have cracked her up, but I'm also sure that grandma is still keeping track of us and gets to see a lot of the crazy things her grandkids and great grandkids do first hand. And she probably says what good kids they are even when they're naughty sometimes since that's the sort of thing she would say when she was here.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Missing Grandma
My Grandma Bodily passed away 2 yrs ago today. At the time it was hard for me because I had just had Brandt, but one of the highlights was that I got to take him to see her a couple times before she died. Because she'd had a stroke it was difficult for her to talk, but she made it very clear that she how happy she was to see him and kept saying that he was a "sweet baby" and a "cute baby." Thankfully I had my camera with me at one of the visits, so we were able to get a 4 generation picture with Brandt, me, my mom, and my grandma. What a treasure now!! There are so many things that I miss about my grandma that I never really even thought of when I was younger. I miss her calls on my birthday, I miss staying with her in the summer and over Christmas break, I miss her honesty (never thought I would miss having someone tell me exactly what they thought about my new hair or weight, good or bad...), I miss being able to find just about anything you could imagine in the freezer (potato chips for example :), I miss the licorice drawer, I miss her flower and veggie gardens, especially since she used to save some things like green peppers just for me cause she knows I love them, etc. Grandma was always a very hard worker and I strive to make that one of my traits as well. One thing that I always admired about my grandma was her ability to make beautiful things with her hands; she made quilts, doilies, afghans, dish towels, and more for all of her grandkids as well as a temple apron for each of us when we had our temple weddings. It is one of my most treasured possessions and I love how it reminds me of my grandma and her love for temple work whenever I have the opportunity to wear it. My mom tries hard to hide her emotions, but I know she misses her even more than I do. They used to talk on the phone almost every day and especially when anything big or exciting happened with the grandkids. I think it was one way that she and my mom could really connect. I'm sure that my mom would have lots of entertaining stories to tell her now since she watches Brandt every day, which would have cracked her up, but I'm also sure that grandma is still keeping track of us and gets to see a lot of the crazy things her grandkids and great grandkids do first hand. And she probably says what good kids they are even when they're naughty sometimes since that's the sort of thing she would say when she was here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great treasury of memories! Its so awesome to be able to record them so that we can remember them and share them with the next generation.
ReplyDeleteI could almost cut and paste this to my blog, Jamie! I have a picture of Cooper and Alex hanging out by my grandma's wheelchair two family reunions ago -- how glad am I now that I thought to snap a picture!
ReplyDeleteAnd I firmly believe that all those grandmas and grandpas are closer than we think -- especially to the babies!