Kylie had her first primary talk today. I have felt that it is important to let my kids help come up with their own talks so that it would be something that has meaning for them. Kylie immediately said "Jesus!" when I asked her what she wanted to talk about. Then she helped write this:
"This is my picture of Jesus that I keep in my bedroom. He is holding the little girl on His lap and He loves her. I know Jesus loves me, too, and I want to sit on His lap one day, too. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen"
Brandt had the opening prayer and he gave it without any help from me at all-that's the first time that's ever happened in front of a group and it made him and me so happy! When it came time for Kylie to give her talk, she started out great saying the first line without a problem, but then she got shy and I ended up finishing it for her. I was still proud of her for giving it a try. This picture is special because my mom helped me make it to give to Kylie a couple years ago for Christmas. I loved this particular picture because the little girl reminded me of Kylie with her chubby cheeks and thick, curly, brown hair. I love the tender way Christ is holding her and looking at her, and it expresses the love He feels for each one of us. I can imagine that she is comfortable in the gentle and protective arms of her older brother and Savior and that's the relationship with Him that I hope my children will be able to have.
The afternoon was beautiful and warmer than it has been, so the kids went outside to enjoy it. They spent time riding their bikes and playing with the dogs while I did a few things in the house. Before long Bryce came into the house carrying a sobbing Kylie who had tripped over the dog and scraped both knees on the paved driveway. She calmed right down as I cleaned and bandaged her wounds. I was sad that she was hurt, but it was such a rewarding feeling to be able to help make her feel better. If I feel that much love for her through treating such small wounds as that, I can only imagine the love that our Savior feels for us as He heals much larger wounds in our bodies as well as our spirits.

No comments:
Post a Comment