On August 17, 2012, Bryce and I were able to close on buying my grandparents' house. What a bittersweet experience for me as I miss them so much but looked forward to making new memories in a house I grew up loving. Because it hadn't been lived in for a few years and since we needed to make some changes in order for it to fit our family better, we had our work cut out for us. We were able to get enough of the necessities done to move in a month later. Thankfully we have amazing family and friends who have helped us a ton and we are now basically settled in (4 months later, but who's counting?) I wanted to "journal" the process, but got overwhelmed with trying to do it all at once, so I'm going to just try to do snippits here and there as I can. Let's start with Brandt and Kylie's room...
The front bedroom is part of the original two-room cabin and Bryce discovered there was hard wood floor under the squishy shag carpet. I had some issues about ripping it up to begin with because it was a connection to the past for me, but in the end I conceded.
Under the beloved carpet was this beautiful, well-preserved cherry wood floor. And we discovered the reason for the noisy, squishy, carpet...before the carpet was put down, there was a protective layer of plastic that was placed in order to help preserve the floor. The only problem was that there was oil-based paint splatters around all the edges of the room, so we ended up having to sand and re-stain anyway.
Bryce had a little helper cleaning up the floor...
Bryce ended up completely ruining the floor by leaving the dark stain on it too long, but then miraculously saved it with a LOT of hard work. I wish I had some inbetween pictures to show the "black tar" mess that it was before it ended up being this beautiful finished product:
Thankfully the room is fairly large because both kids share it for now until we can add on sometime in the future. So, we did our best to make it a his and hers room. Kylie has her flowers...
and buddy has his blue wall as requested.
It's so nice to be able to have closet space for both of them as well as dressers and enough room to put their toy cupboard!
The first night sleeping in our new house and Kylie's first night sleeping in a real bed (she had still been in a play pen by the side of our bed in the other house since there wasn't room for a bed anywhere) and they both LOVED it! I love being able to tell them that this is the room I always slept in when I stayed at grandma and grandpa's. Kylie now sleeps through the night, which she hadn't been doing before. I'm guessing the days of loving to share a room won't last forever, but for now we sure appreciate it.
No comments:
Post a Comment