Sunday, December 30, 2012

House remodel-back room, kitchen, and dining room

As mentioned in the previous "remodel post", there were some changes we made prior to moving in to help it work better for our family as well as make it feel like our own.  Let's start with the back room...
We decided that we wanted to change the color from yellow to tan and that it would work better for us to have a cupboard for pantry items where the fridge had been.
 
 
 
Bryce built this handy little gadget to hang our coats on. The kids lovingly call it "Bruce the Moose." When he has time, he also plans to put a few more hooks under Bruce for things like backpacks to hang on. He will also build a bench to go along the wall and trays underneath it for shoes since we always take them off at the door anyway.
 
 
This is the closet that my grandpa always put his chore clothes in.  It had never been finished off and was a great place for mice to sneak in. So, Bryce and Curtis spent a day closing it in and making it look really nice-and hopefully rodent-proof.
 
My brother had been squashed inside of the closet but I wasn't quite fast enough on the camera to catch it...  So funny, though.
Finished project-complete with hooks for items like hats and keys.


 
 
The dining room table was always in the kitchen and represented many wonderful meals, card games, and memories.  We decided that it would work better for us to move it and bring the fridge around the corner into the kitchen.  We also changed the color from yellow to brown, which was a little bold and scary for me at first, but now I love it.
Buddy was excited when I let him help paint this wall. He tried so hard to do a good job and figured out the pattern of "up and down" really fast.  At this point I still wasn't so sure about the darker color Bryce had picked.

It's hard to see, but my favorite thing about this microwave stand is that inside there is a candy dish from each of my grandmas.
 
Before-yellow and white
 

Mid-painting-chaos :)  Thankfully we had lots of good help with all the painting from family and friends.  I swear, I am never painting again!

 


 
And after- brown walls with white trim and tan cupboards.  Bryce is a genius decorator-I love it!
 
Favorite part of this picture-old rusted shears found in the garage.


 
I love having a pantry right in the kitchen with another one just around the corner plus space for the "extras" down in the dungeon.
 
Before-white walls and couch...

After-tan walls and dining room table.  This is one of my favorite things about the house-there's no TV to be seen from the table so when we sit down for a meal there aren't as many distractions. This table and chairs set was my grandma Bodily's so it holds memories for me as well.  I hope to make many more "dinner table memories" with my own little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment