Sunday, January 27, 2013

I don't especially like winter, but one thing I do like is seeing the new baby calves.  Brandt has been going out every night to help with chores before I get home from work and come to get him.  The other night it was warmer than it has been so Kylie and I bundled up in our warmest clothes and headed out with the boys.  The kids had fun playing in the straw, although poor Kylie coughed her little head off the entire time we were out there.  Straw seems to be one of her worst allergies, another reason besides the cold and the fact that I'm usually still at work that I don't take her out there very often.  This particular night they got to watch the first part of a calf being born and then got to see Bryce and Curtis pull the calf through the corral and into one of the calving sheds with its mama following close behind.  I remember going out with my dad and/or grandparents when I was their age and sitting or standing on the straw in order to watch them over the fence the entire time they mucked out sheds, put cows in, and watered and strawed the sheds.  We always had to be super quiet and calm so we didn't make the cows nervous.  Not my kids!  They only sit there calmly for a second before they are running wild!  They knocked over and restacked the straw dozens of times. They ran around and waved the cattle prod all over using it to tear apart straw bales.  They played and rolled around with the dogs.  And they were anything but quiet.  Good thing most of my dad's cows are pretty docile and didn't seem too bugged by them.













No comments:

Post a Comment