Saturday, January 5, 2013

On New Year's Day I was able to take a few minutes to visit the cemetery.  A couple days prior to that it had been plowed out so that Joyce Transtrum could be buried up there.  She and Merrill were our only neighbors growing up and were like second grandparents to us.  Oh how we loved going to visit them.  She has been having a lot of health problems over the past few years and it's been so hard on Merrill to try and care for her.  He was so sad that he'd finally had to come to the decision to not keep her at home anymore.  As sad as it was to see her go, I'm thankful that he didn't have to watch her be in the nursing home. The last time I went to see her, it was the first time she didn't call me by name and give me a kiss on the cheek and a hug.  It broke my heart that she was so sick and confused that she didn't know people anymore.  She was still sweet to the very end, though.  Since the roads had been cleared, I took the opportunity to go up and see the Christmas wreath at my grandparents' grave. My great grandparents, Myrtle and Tobe, are buried just below my grandparents and there was also a beautiful wreath left for them. It was so peaceful and calm up there and a good time to take a few minutes to think about what the Christmas season really means.  How thankful I am for the birth of our Savior and for the ability I'll have to see my loved ones again because of Him.  





No comments:

Post a Comment