Anyone who knows me well has heard me say that with my children I am NEVER bored-and I repeat that phrase often. Bryce left bright and early this morning for a fencing job, and both kids were up and running soon after he walked out the door. They rarely sleep in and they aren't known for sitting quietly and watching Saturday morning cartoons while I try to catch a few extra moments of Zzzzz's. Oh no, they do things like climb to the top of cupboards and find paints (that I've been looking for for over a month by the way) and start craft projects at 7:30 in the morning. What fun is it to just paint a wooden car, though? Why not paint each other, too? So, what kind of mom lets them participate in such activities and then sends them outside by 8 am to jump on the trampoline so the body paint could dry on a chilly, breezy April morning? Um, that would be me. I figure they could be doing a lot worse-like for example when Brandt took my car keys at 5 am and was going to drive himself over to The Bear Lake Country Cabins to get a pop out of their vending machine-when he was THREE YEARS OLD. Thankfully at that age he wasn't quiet or sneaky about anything so I heard him run down the hall and out the back door and was able to apprehend him before he got behind the steering wheel.
So, this morning started off with a bang and didn't slow down one bit-at least for Brandt. Kylie did at least have some down time playing quietly and watching cartoons when she wasn't joining her brother in his adventures, but buddy stayed busy every second of the day. He spent time with the dogs and "training" as well as "racing" the horses. He started to build a "log cabin" out in the field with the long poles that used to be our front fence. Even when he fell down and was tired from lugging them all over the field, he hopped right back up and kept at it. Until he got a little distracted, that is, and wandered down to the wood shed where I found him trying to use the hand saw. "Don't worry, mom. I'm big enough and I totally know what I'm doing." I guess at least it wasn't the huge ax this time-been there, done that... So after I took the saw away, he threw a large stack of "his boards for his fort" out into the driveway-where they stayed until his dad got home and made him throw them all back in-because before he could build anything with them he had already moved on to another activity. He let the dogs out and rounded them back up again. He played in the garden spot-digging holes and looking for worms. He played with his Legos and Lincoln Logs. He tipped over my rocking chair and piled blankets over and around it for a make-shift tent. This was all before noon, and I'm sure that I've left out a dozen or more things. All in all, it was a pretty typical morning at home with my kids and a good example of why I try hard to choose to go with the flow and laugh instead of expect perfection and yell. It's also a good example of why I pray always for the safety of my favorite little people and why I'm so thankful for their guardian angels.
Later in the day we were pleasantly surprised with a visit from Maleri, Jolie, and Bridger. The cousins have such a great time playing together and it honestly gives me a bit of a break because Jo and Bridger keep my kids entertained and Jo is good about keeping Brandt out of too much mischief. Bryce let each of the kids take turns riding the 4-wheeler with him while he harrowed the field, which they loved and so did I because it gave me a quick second to get something ready for dinner. Then came the hardest part of my day-trying to get all the paint washed off so they'll be ready for church tomorrow. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment