Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Christmas Lesson

Being a parent is hard-I imagine that it always has been.  Being a parent in these Latter Days when we are surrounded by evil isn't just hard-it seems impossible.  I cling to the moments that reassure me that what I'm doing as a mother ARE making a difference in the lives of my children.  I took Brandt to Stake Conference with me today and he was beyond hyper!!  We've really been struggling with him the past few weeks when it comes to church and I was hoping today would be different since some of the triggers that have been a problem in our own ward wouldn't be there.  He was in a great mood-he just couldn't sit still worth heck.  He was in and out and talking out loud and there wasn't much I could do about it. He even found a cat outside the tabernacle that he named Jingles, and I'm pretty sure the entire top level of the tabernacle heard about it when he came in one time after Mariah took a turn chasing him and hollered to me "mom, come see the cat I found named Jingles!" Thankfully we were surrounded by people who know us and are super patient.  We sat by the Hillier's and the Olsen's and they were helpful in entertaining him with their smart phones (I may have to break down and get one for myself one of these days...).  By the time conference was over, I was ready to go home and I was questioning why in the world I keep trying to take my kids to stuff like that when they can't possibly be getting much out of it.

On the way home buddy told me he can't wait until Christmas when Santa brings him a couple of Wii games he's decided he wants in addition to a few other items on his list such as a Robot building kit and an ipod (the ipod is NOT happening).  I happen to have inside information directly from Santa that he isn't getting any Wii games, so I thought I'd better start preparing him for disappointment now.  I gently asked him what he would think if Santa doesn't bring him everything on his list and explained that when I was growing up we only got a few things.  He answered, "mom, Christmas isn't really about the presents you get, you know, it's about spending time together as a family."  At that point I thought, "ok, this is why I keep taking him to church and trying my best to teach him what's right even if I dang near go crazy doing it."  I just couldn't leave well enough alone and asked him who he learned that from-of course thinking he would likely say something like his primary teacher, grandma, or me.  His answer was a quick one, "Donald Duck."  Hmmmm, not exactly what I expected, but it made me laugh none the less.


I think I probably lucked out this time-at least he learned something from Donald Duck that I agree with. So, my take away lesson for the day other than Christmas isn't about presents?  I need to be more diligent in making sure that my children are learning what I want them to, especially when it comes to TV and computer time because that's what sticks with them the most. And I am definitely upping my game when it comes to teaching them about the true meaning of Christmas in the next couple weeks so that I can hopefully add to what Donald Duck already taught them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment