Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day 2014-The Best Gifts

I decided long ago that the best gifts in this life aren't "things"-the best gifts are family, friends, love, kindness, service, etc.  Sometimes "things" represent and help us remember those people we love and the kindness they showed us.  Growing up we were never spoiled for holidays like Christmas and our Birthdays.  Rather my parents, especially my mom, made sure that we had the basics of what we needed along with items that held greater meaning and could be cherished.  I still have some of those items, like a heart necklace with my birthstone in it, a CTR ring, a beautiful cedar chest, and my temple clothes-just to name a few.  These material possessions represent a lot more than the money they cost-they represent the love of my parents.  MY MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS ARE MY CHILDREN-they make me happy every single day.  It amazes me that my Heavenly Father sent them to me!  I believe that all good things come from God, but I can't help but think that all the "things" he blesses us with in this life can't compare to the PEOPLE he blesses us with.  Mother's Day turned out to be a day to reflect on how grateful I am for the beautiful mothers and grandmothers who have influenced me so much.  I miss my grandmas so much and I often think of how much they taught me.  I have been blessed to live close to my mom and our relationship has become much stronger throughout recent years-she is the reason why I survive many days of being a working mom.  My kids LOVE her and beg to go to grandma's every day even when I have days off work and can stay home with them. My sisters are great examples of mother's who would do anything for their children.  I was fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time with some of my aunts and great-aunts while I was younger and I love them dearly.  There are many wonderful women in our ward who have loved me and helped teach me to choose the right since I was a toddler.  I have been blessed to work with amazing women in the past 15 years and some of them have become like second moms to me. I have friends who don't yet have children of their own and may not have that opportunity in this life, but their beauty and strength as women still influences me for good.

 Mother's Day is a perfect time to go out of our way to show appreciation to the amazing women around us.  Some women may expect material gifts as a token of that love and appreciation, but I prefer to be shown love in other ways.

So...while my husband didn't give me anything tangible for Mother's Day (pretty sure he forgot lol) he did go to church with us without complaining too much and he spent time cuddling and playing with the kids this afternoon. That was better than any material gift he could have given me.  Brandt and Kylie each gave me homemade items from school, which I will keep and treasure.  But more importantly, they each helped write their own Mother's Day talks in their primary classes 2 weeks ago to say in the program today.  Kylie got nervous once she stood up to the pulpit so I read her part for her. "I like to make cupcakes with my mom.  Happy Mother's Day, mom.  I love you!"  Brandt was super brave and said his talk with a only a little bit of prompting. "Mom, you remind me of a teddy bear because you are so huggable.  Happy Mother's Day.  I love you!"  They both sang with the rest of the primary to me and my mom along with the rest of the congregation, and that in itself made my heart happy.  I love that they know the songs that I often sing to them at bedtime.  My favorites from this program were Love is Spoken Here, I Often Go Walking, and Mother, Tell Me a Story.  After church Brandt was a gentleman and opened the car door for his sister.  Kylie helped me get lunch on the table.  Buddy changed his clothes without having to be reminded more than once.  We got to see my parents and also got to go to Liberty and see Bryce's parents and his Grandma Hemmert.  My children were pretty darn good while we were there and got along with their cousins without any battles large or small that I know of.  Overall, it was a good day spent with the people I love most, and that is a pretty special gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment