Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Beach, Blessings, and Birthdays

We had a fun and eventful day with Bryce's family today.  Jeff and Diana are here so we all went down to the beach (Bryce was working, though...) and then we had a birthday party for the twins in Liberty that night-complete with pinatas.  Between the two parties Bryce and I went with my dad and Jim Hillier up the canyon to bring cows down.  Kevin and Riley Wells came to help. It was going well until Bryce and I ran into a downed wire fence while heading down a steep, rocky hill. Bryce's horse Gunner isn't used to being in the mountains and had already been spooked quite a bit and it didn't help when he got cut in the wire.  Bryce came back to try to help me get Buck over it and it ended up being a bit of a wreck.  I was trying to lead him over it and Bryce was helping me hold the wires down.  Suddenly the wire slipped out from under Bryce's boot and caught Buck's back leg.  Buck fell forward stepping on my left shin (I thought it was broken for sure!) and then I fell as well.  I tried to roll and turn onto my belly covering my head as I went down and I felt Buck come down onto my back and felt and caught a glimpse of his legs as they brushed the sides of my shoulders and head as he fell.  It was the most surreal moment as I waited to be crushed under him, but it didn't happen.  It felt like some sort of cocoon was surrounding me and protecting me even though I could feel his weight on me.  Bryce was freaking out because he thought for sure I would be dead and Kevin and Riley, who were watching from the opposite hill, thought the same thing.  Of course later Kevin joked and said that he and Riley had already been "calling for" my possessions.  It was a huge surprise to us all when I stood up and was able to lead my horse off the hill.  My only injuries other than being sore in general are an ugly sore and goose egg on my shin and a bit of a wrenched pelvis.  BUT I'm walking and talking and breathing still and that is nothing short of a MIRACLE!  Brandt says it's because when he prayed before we left he asked for our safety.  I have no doubt that that helped immensely.  As a friend also pointed out, we are promised protection when we wear our temple garments and keep our covenants and I have had the strong feeling that that is why I am still alive and not severely injured.  Everyone who has seen me since the accident says, "wow, you are so lucky!" but I know that luck had nothing to do with it!  I am so BLESSED!!
































































No comments:

Post a Comment