Bryce hasn't always been my idea of a perfect father, but I'm coming to learn that "MY ideas" haven't always been realistic and many of "my ideas" are changing. Let's be honest, what parent is perfect? I am certainly FAR from being the perfect parent and I'm usually harder on myself than I am on anyone else. Bryce is a regular guy with short-comings and challenges just like all of us, and he is teaching my children (and me) that those weaknesses can be overcome and can become strengths. He has worked really hard to learn to be more patient with the kids. He has spent time with me at counseling learning how to best cope with Brandt's ADHD and Asperger's and the many different anxieties that come with it in a way that benefits us all. He is spending more time with both kids and learning to recognize and enjoy the simple moments more, and it's paying off for our whole family. Brandt and Kylie LOVE playing with their dad and I love watching them. Bryce works his tail end off at multiple jobs in order to help provide for his family. He often works every day of the week during the summer and still humors us with time spent in the late evening doing activities like roasting hot dogs in the backyard, playing on the trampoline, and taking us with him to help on the ranch-even though his time at home is extremely limited and he's usually exhausted. He even camped out in the trailer with buddy 2 nights in a row last week-on a not so comfortable cot pad despite his back being sore from fencing and irrigating. Whether he knows it or not, he has taught us about forgiveness and pushing forward even when we make mistakes. He has shown us to continue on even when we feel like giving up. He has taught us about patience and about loving someone through the bad times as well as the good. I know that I have a perfect Father in Heaven who knew that Bryce and I can learn to be the perfect parents for our children TOGETHER . So, while Bryce hasn't always been "my idea" of a perfect father, I know he is exactly the father our family has needed and for that I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment