
Today we said goodbye to Bryce's Uncle, Kenny Thompson, who passed away on June 8th after battling pancreatic cancer. He fought hard and lived a lot longer than most people do with that type of cancer, working and doing things to enjoy his time with his family until the very end. Just one week prior to that, Bryce and I had the opportunity to take our kids and ride down with Doug and Shellie to visit with Kenny and Marie at their cabin at Strawberry Reservoir. Kenny had gone there for one last fishing trip with Justin and Adam. I was impressed with the love they showed him by making something like that happen for their father and it was special to see the tender love and respect with which Aunt Marie cared for him.
Bryce and I had been to the cabin one other time when we went down for a family camp out quite a few years ago before we had kids-an experience that won't be soon forgotten as many of the other family members got very ill with some kind of food poisoning or something. One of the biggest problems with the situation was that the cabin wasn't finished and the bathroom wasn't either. With that many sick people and only one blanketed off toilet area, it was a bit chaotic. Some of the cousins ended up going down to the public bathrooms by the boat dock and staying there for the night. While it may not have turned out to be the "perfect" family vacation, I am grateful for the memory. My favorite memory of Uncle Kenny happened not too long after Bryce and I got married when I went down with Aunt Diane and a couple of her girls and Shellie during October Fest. Kenny spoiled us by taking us to a haunted house and to Cold Stone's for ice cream. He was always so kind to me and I loved being around him and his family.
Strawberry Reservoir is a beautiful area, and we enjoyed our impromptu trip with Doug and Shellie. The kids had a blast playing air hockey (especially when Justin played with them), and then Justin took Brandt for a ride in the backhoe and even let him drive it. Bryce and I took the kids down by the water because the kids wanted to try to catch crawdads after their dad told them stories about how he caught them and let them snap onto his ears when we were there before. We enjoyed visiting with Justin and Carrie, Adam, and Kenny and Marie. It was good to see Uncle Kenny and to have the chance to give him a big hug and say goodbye to him, but it was hard to see him so frail. He told us he would see us the next weekend when he made a trip to Bear Lake, but we left knowing that probably wasn't going to happen. Thankfully for him, he didn't have to suffer much longer.
Bryce and I had been to the cabin one other time when we went down for a family camp out quite a few years ago before we had kids-an experience that won't be soon forgotten as many of the other family members got very ill with some kind of food poisoning or something. One of the biggest problems with the situation was that the cabin wasn't finished and the bathroom wasn't either. With that many sick people and only one blanketed off toilet area, it was a bit chaotic. Some of the cousins ended up going down to the public bathrooms by the boat dock and staying there for the night. While it may not have turned out to be the "perfect" family vacation, I am grateful for the memory. My favorite memory of Uncle Kenny happened not too long after Bryce and I got married when I went down with Aunt Diane and a couple of her girls and Shellie during October Fest. Kenny spoiled us by taking us to a haunted house and to Cold Stone's for ice cream. He was always so kind to me and I loved being around him and his family.
Strawberry Reservoir is a beautiful area, and we enjoyed our impromptu trip with Doug and Shellie. The kids had a blast playing air hockey (especially when Justin played with them), and then Justin took Brandt for a ride in the backhoe and even let him drive it. Bryce and I took the kids down by the water because the kids wanted to try to catch crawdads after their dad told them stories about how he caught them and let them snap onto his ears when we were there before. We enjoyed visiting with Justin and Carrie, Adam, and Kenny and Marie. It was good to see Uncle Kenny and to have the chance to give him a big hug and say goodbye to him, but it was hard to see him so frail. He told us he would see us the next weekend when he made a trip to Bear Lake, but we left knowing that probably wasn't going to happen. Thankfully for him, he didn't have to suffer much longer.
Funerals are never easy, but as Bryce said afterward, I think Kenny probably liked this one. Adam spoke and so did Aunt Diane, and they both did a good job of paying tribute to him with just the right amount of humor and love. We especially enjoyed the many memories that were shared. Brandt liked that they talked about his yard and flowers because he liked to help plant our flowers this year, too. The spirit was strong as they testified that we will see him again. The music was beautiful and added to the reverent feeling that was present. The song we sang as a congregation was Amazing Grace and I thought it was very fitting. Just as Kenny must have relied upon the Grace of God to help him with his trial with cancer, we too must rely on it to get through what this life throws at us every day. It is by His Grace that we will be able to return safely to our Father in Heaven one day, and it is by Grace that we can repent and be perfected through this refiner's fire that is life so that we can be worthy to be in His presence along with our families when that day comes.
When we went outside after the services, there was a boy playing the bagpipes and the melodic yet sad sound resonated in the air and in my heart. Kenny's burial spot is in a beautiful cemetery near the Bountiful temple. He has influenced so many for good, especially his children and grandchildren. I was touched as I watched his grandchildren saying their goodbyes and then lingering at his casket. The love they had for their grandpa was very obvious. Bryce and I left with gratitude for having known him and a strong feeling that we need to work harder to follow his example and make lasting memories with our children as well as our extended family.
When we went outside after the services, there was a boy playing the bagpipes and the melodic yet sad sound resonated in the air and in my heart. Kenny's burial spot is in a beautiful cemetery near the Bountiful temple. He has influenced so many for good, especially his children and grandchildren. I was touched as I watched his grandchildren saying their goodbyes and then lingering at his casket. The love they had for their grandpa was very obvious. Bryce and I left with gratitude for having known him and a strong feeling that we need to work harder to follow his example and make lasting memories with our children as well as our extended family.
AMAZING GRACE
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear,
and Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear,
the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far,
and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
as long as life endures.
No comments:
Post a Comment