Tuesday, June 17, 2014

When I think of my Grandma Bodily one of the first memories that comes to mind is her beautiful flower gardens.  She definitely had a green thumb and worked hard to keep her yard looking its best.  I don't remember helping her plant, but I do remember watering, weeding, and cutting flowers for her to use for arrangements to use in her house as well as give to friends or take to the graves of those she loved.  I especially loved her roses and sweet peas.  They all made me sneeze, but I loved them.

My Grandma Pugmire had small but pretty and neat flower beds by her house and another one between the driveway, field, and road.  I remember helping her plant petunias and marigolds every spring and then helping her water and weed them now and then.  I also spent time with her caring for the flowers that used to surround our church here in St. Charles.

This year I decided that I would give my own not-so-green thumb some practice and plant a few flowers, something that I've never really done at my own house before.  My kids had a great time helping me, especially Brandt.  He caught on quickly and was soon helping me pick the perfect spot for each flower and then would plant them by himself.  I think it turned out pretty ok (although I don't have pictures of the completed project, yet, since we keep finding more flowers to add to it every time we go to town...) and I hope that my Grandma Pugmire likes what we've done with her flower beds-well, other than I'm guessing the skulls Bryce added to them probably aren't her favorites.

While we were planting and every day since then as I've carefully watered them, I have enjoyed the wonderful memories of my grandmas that come to mind while I try to give my flowers at least a portion of the care that they would if they were still here.  I loved them each so much and I hope that I can live in a way that makes them proud of me as their granddaughter.







No comments:

Post a Comment